zaterdag 23 april 2016

Sculpting the future

My friend and I like to share our sculpting time, although our sculpting processes are completely different. He needs inspiration. He waits for an beatiful artistic idea, slowly materialising in his mind. Then he grabs a stone, starts hitting and sculpting ferociously: his whole being focused on making this idea coming true. He sees himself as master of the stone. Sometimes he succeeds, and then I love his creations. Sometimes he fails. The he casts the mutulated stone aside and starts all over again. Sometimes succeeding.  Sometimes failing.
For me the process is completely different.  I start with picking up a stone randomly. Then I try to figure out wich "image" within the stone waits for liberation. Sometimes I see  it right away. Sometimes  I first have to chip some stone of, before I discover the "image" inside.
Both ways are okay for sculpting stone. Replacing "stone" with "future", is it still alright then?
For the last nine days here in Zambia we have been working a lot with people on creating their future. We have been working together with a variety of Creative Thinking techniques on the development of social and business skills. We have been visualising entrepreneurial desires. We have been researching using theatrical techniques all kinds of contextual and  situational powers, both supporting and destructing.

While doing so, slowly the sculpting metaphor materialised in my mind. What is the best way of helping people in creating a better future? On one hand: the outside-the-box "image", created by an European frame of mind (denkraam) and implemented in Zambian starting up entrepreneurs,  eager for learning. On the other hand: the "image" hidden inside, longing so much for being acknowledged and liberated.

Is there a best way? Should there be? I don't know. Even so not knowing, I do know that when facilitating or coaching people (especially working in a cross cultural situation) this question should be considered very carefully. 

In the meantime this airplane I am sitting in decends slowly for Windhoek Airport.
Being the storyteller I am, I would like to follow up this post with two short stories. Deside for yourself what story suits best which people in this Zambian adventure. (Next post).
For now, greetings from Windhoek, the second fase in the project.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten